I’ve been a bit on the busy side.
Cleaned the garage, finally. Now it has a big separating wall that keeps the art and construction stuff to one side (the side with the garage doors) and the gaming and meeting place on the other. It also has a free-standing air conditioner and a coffee bar. I have priorities.
Got a paying contract, finally. After a week of negotiations, I finalized a deal with a guy who works in real estate buying houses. Great guy, I think this is going to work out well. Thing is, it illustrated for me a few important things:
- Most people do not understand that when you sign a legally binding agreement with someone and put a clause in to protect your interests, you must be willing to let them insert a sister clause for the same protections. Expecting all the protection and offering none in return is shitty. I don’t blame the guy for not understanding this, though. Standard business practices have always been dodgy. This is how we change them.
- When you’re looking at a project but still have the promise of a long-term business relationship, make the first agreement short term. It’s like dating. If the first date went okay, think about how it’s going to go for the next month to three months before picking out your vacation together next year.
- You have the right to ask for special clauses – especially for a short term contract – if your red flags have been set off. Me, I get nervous when people talk about having a lot of money. This has traditionally been followed by them trying to screw me over big-time. Like, golly, I guess that’s why you still have money; you don’t pay people. So, I asked for the first short-term agreement to be paid on retainer with reimbursement for expenses. This is not common for for in a long-term arrangement, but this first quarter is all about establishing trust.
I utterly failed at my two-week writing goal, but that’s okay. The goal was 70,000 words for two weeks, spread across several different stories. Some came with deadlines, some were just neat ideas. I got about 9,643 words into it (not counting the incomplete ones), and then this contract thing happened. I could technically count the 2000 words that went into the pre-sale audits, and the 1000 words that went into the audit, and also the other 2000 words that went into a surprise game design document… but I’m not going to. They wouldn’t help. I’m not crying over spilled milk. However, that goal was based on being able to write for four to six hours every (work) day. This new gig is deliberately designed to be part-time, so my new writing schedule is going to center around that.
I updated my writing tools. I tried Scrivener ages and ages ago, and I hated it. It felt like it was making my job more complex than it needed to be. I recently decided to try it again, and I gotta say, I’m pretty impressed. I like having the cork board feature, I like the way the chapters can be broken up… I’m digging it. I also started using the Hemingway Editor. It tracks your passive voice use, your sentence length, writing complexity… I don’t know if it really makes me a better writer, but it does illustrate how long I like to make my sentences.
Other things have been going on as well, but they’re not quite blog-worthy. I’ve been toying with an AR game design, with a new cooking blog, and with numerous other projects, but nothing is really ready to emerge just yet. Thanks for listening, I’ll be back shortly.
Oh… and one more thing…
TEAM MYSTIC, BITCHES!!!